The Union Meeting House was built in 1827-28 to accommodate a union of different faiths since not all congregations then worshipping in Readfield could afford their own building in 1827. Toward the middle of the 20th century, as different faiths built their own churches, services became less frequent. With no congregations, there was no income. There have been occasional interdenominational services in recent years but Union Meeting House is used today primarily for concerts, lectures, conferences, weddings, funerals and other civic purposes.
The only source of income has been a dedicated group of volunteers who, for the past 60 years, have worked with the Board of Directors to raise funds for ongoing maintenance. In recent years the income has not been sufficient to undertake needed repairs. We are inaugurating a membership program and initiating a capital fund drive to build an endowment to preserve Union Meeting House.
When talking about a historic building, especially one with a steeple, stained glass, old brickwork, and an interior that is a work of art, the expenses are high. We thank the older generations for preserving the church intact, yet it is a weighty burden. Since the building is on the National Register of Historic Places both state and federal agencies keep watch to make certain nothing is done to downgrade the Union Meeting House and its famous interior. The standards for restoring a historic building are stringent and the Union Meeting House Board of Directors is well aware of the responsibilities that rest on its shoulders.
“The Readfield Union Meeting House is not only a Readfield jewel, it is not merely a Maine treasure, it is truly a national landmark”